Follow me on instagram for even more foodie pics and inspiration @cleansimple (http://instagram.com/cleansimple)

Tuesday 14 January 2014

Eggs

Poached, boiled, fried, scrabbled, any way, I love eggs! Here are some of my recipes to make you egg dish a little more creative!

Mini Omelette Muffins



Great for breakfast on the go as you can make them the night, or weekend before and just keep them in the fridge.

I put tomatoes, spinach and feta in the base of mine.  In a pan I just lightly fried some courgettes, yellow peppers and garlic and added these on top.
In a jug I whisked up 6 eggs, a dash of milk and salt and pepper and then poured evenly over the of each one. I managed to make 9 with this amount.


Place in pre heated oven at 180 degrees and bake for 20-25 mins until slightly browned on top.

Poached eggs on roasted aubergine with rocket, avacado and tomato



My top tip for poaching your eggs is to have your water simmering, add plenty of vinegar, any will do, I always just use whatever I have in the cupboard.  If you add plenty of vinegar you don’t need to do all this swirling the water stuff.  I crack my egg into a small bowl and then gently lower into the pan, if you use a big pan you can easily do 2 or 3 at the same time. You will see once you have lowered it in it will slowly smooth itself into its own ball. Leave simmering for 4 minutes then take out with a slotted spoon.

Since as many 1.5cm rings of aubergine as you have poached eggs and put on the griddle with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.  Slowly cook and turn until soft.

There are the base to replace the bread, add your rocket and then poached eggs. Serve with baby chopped tomatoes and slices of avocado with a drizzle of olive oil.

Poached eggs with pan fried aubergine and courgettes


Poach eggs as above.

Roughly chop your aubergine and courgettes and sauté in a pan with salt, pepper and garlic with a drizzle of rapeseed oil until soft. Take off the heat and mix in some rocket.

I lined mine up on the plate with an egg on each side and then put a bit of hot chili sauce on the top.

Egg white omelette with courgettes, mushrooms and spinach


In a bowl crack 1 whole egg and 2 more egg whites and whisk up with a dash of soya milk and some salt and pepper.


Finely slice your courgettes and mushrooms – I only finely slice them so they cook quicker when I am in a rush but if you like it chunky and have more time then do as you like. Sauté in small frying pan with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Once soft add the spinach and toss quickly just so it gets a bit warm and shrinks. Add your eggs and put on very low heat. Leave to cook for around 5 minutes and then get a fish slice/spatula and go around the edge of the pan to unstick any bits.  Give the pan a good shake and if the omelette moves then its ready for folding, if not its not cooked enough of the bottom.  Once its ready for folding shimmy it over to the edge of one side by holding the pan at an angle and then fold that side over back into the pan giving you a half moon.  Serve with salad and avocado with a drizzle of olive oil.

Colourful Omelettes!


I always just chuck in whatever I have in the fridge, bit of this bit of that! It always tastes good together so don’t worry!

In this one I put tomatoes, mushrooms, carrots, yellow peppers, caramelised red onions I had left over, spinach, spring onions and feta.


I finely sliced everything and lightly fried the peppers, mushrooms, carrots and spring onion. Once soft add the caramelised onions, feta, tomatoes and spinach.  Lightly toss and then pour over 3 egg whites and 1 whole egg and lower heat. Add salt and pepper and leave on low heat to cook through.  If you are in a rush then after a couple of minutes on the hob put under the grill to cook through quicker.


Scrambled egg whites with salad

In a bowl crack 1 whole egg and 2 more egg whites and whisk up with a dash of soya milk and some salt and pepper.

Pre heat your frying pan with no oil, once hot add a drizzle of rapeseed oil and then turn down to mid heat. Add eggs and leave for 30 seconds then with a spatula fold the edges in and mix.  Once most of it looks cooked remove from the heat and fold in any moist less cooked bits and leave to cook through.  This way you wont over cook your eggs and make them hard and rubbery.

Courgette and carrot fritter with poached egg, bacon and tomato.


Poach egg as above.

Use butchers good quality bacon with little fat on and grill until crispy.  Once cooked pat away excess fat with kitchen roll.


For the counrgette and carrot fritter I used my new spiralizer. I sprialized 1 courgette and 2 carrots and then placed these in a bowl with 1 egg, 1 tbsp cornflower, salt and pepper and mixed thoroughly.  I then cooked similar to my omelette; heat the pan, then add a dash of oil, then turn down the heat and add the mix..  Flatten it down so its evenly distributed and then just leave.  Once browned on the bottom I added halloumi to the top and put over the grill until browned.  I then sliced this into quarters and used 1 quarter as the bottom with the bacon, poached egg, tomato and spinach on top and another quarter on the top to make the lid.  It didn’t stay together that well but it tasted delish!!

No comments:

Post a Comment